Monday, February 9, 2009

Madame Rouge Aperitif from Waiheke

People living on Waiheke fall into two groups, those that are there for the life style or those that can't get off the island. It is the first group of people that interest me. They tend to be the most organic less materialistic people.

The people whose chose to live somewhere rather than those who are born somewhere tend to be me involved in the community and in a certain way of life.

Now the wine from Miro is definitely made by those who want to contribute to a way of life. The wine I am drinking, as I write this, is an aperitif called 'Madame Rouge'. It reminds me of that great French claasic 'Pineau' or 'Pineau des Charentes'.

Pineau is made from unfermented grape must and Brandy, but I cannot be sure how they made Madame Rouge nor can I get any information from their website.

The taste is of sweet, ripened red fruit with a consistency of a cordial. It reads on the back label that one can add ice cubes and water. I Personally think that leaving it unadulterated is to taste the drink at its best.

It is beautifully balanced and well made and ideal as an aperitif or digestive, supplementing  Port or Brandy. It is great to see vineyards, and wineries alike, making alternative products from their fruit. WVR 87 points. RRP $50

 

www.thewinevault.co.nz

No comments: