Wednesday, February 11, 2009

For a Hawke's Bay Winery, not bad!

I always think that wine should be made where the winery is located and the grapes grown. Nowadays this romantic notion has long since disappeared in New Zealand.

Look at Montana, now owned by Pernod Ricard, they own 50% of wine made in New Zealand. This figure astounds me, not for the fact that it is just an industrial process rather than a passionate affair with the wine maker at one with the land, but all of the other connotations associated with big industrial factories as we have just seen with Fontera and San Lu!

Well that hasn't spoilt my wine this evening. The wine in question is that of Sileni 'Grand Central' Central Otago Pinot Noir. Now this wine already has hit the right note with me because it is the name of a bar I used to frequent in my 20s, a damn good bar in those days as well!

Well Sileni have made a Central Otago Pinot that tastes more like Pinot than most Central Otago wines at half the price. What I really like is the fruit with good tannin structure is at the forefront and not clouded by oak. Thanks for this evenings wine Sileni.

Cheers.

Jayson Bryant

www.thewinevault.co.nz

No comments: