Thursday, February 25, 2010

Rippon Pinot Noir 2008

Last year I called this wine the best Pinot Noir in the country, but that was the 2006 vintage. This year however I would have to admit that it really didn't rock my world.
The wine had a challenging aroma with hay, blackberry, and a tiny hint of spice delicately balanced with fruit/acid/oak but it lacked on the palate what was promised on the nose. It fell short, way too short, and the mid palate was non-existent relative to previous vintages.
I am a great believer in what Rippon achieve and will continue to achieve but am saddened by this particular bottle, and it could be exactly that, the bottle.
Nick Mills makes wines that speak of him and his land and with a Diam closure you are sure to get bottle variation, which I admire.
So on this bottle I will score it 84 points but am keen to try another just in case it was purely the bottle.

Posted via web from The Wine Vault

No comments: