Thursday, March 12, 2009

A sense of place and belonging.

I would really like to taste wine everyday that tells me where and when it was from. More often than not I taste wine that is from industrial factories rather than from, say, Marlborough or Central Otago.

When I taste wines from the old world I get a sense of the season and place where the wine was from. Wines from 2003 display intense super ripe fruit which is indicative of the extremely hot year that was '03. They have a distinct character which is their passport to identification.

Please, oh please, let more ad more wineries make wine that has a passport of the land rather than the winemakers preferences for big new world styles. Now it is not always the fault of the winemaker but the fault of the winery owner who obviously has not been exposed to enough old world wine.

www.thewinevault.co.nz

No comments: