Sunday, May 24, 2009

Pinot Gris and Riesling Regional Styles

I have often thought that the way to market Riesling and Pinot Gris, to a lesser extent, is to have regional styles. For the consumer it is difficult to know what style of wine they are getting, unless it is written on the label, when they purchase a bottle of New Zealand Riesling and/or Pinot Gris.

The regional wine bodies should meet up and decide on a style of wine that suits their regional terroir and not just the market. This would give the consumer a much better idea of wine style and also give each region a point of difference.

Consumers, who do not shop in wine stores, are faced with shelves of wine that baffle them. They know not what style of wine they are getting unless having drunk it before. Come on NZ let's ave some regionality with our wines rather than the homogenous state of play that we see with Marlborough Sauvignon.

3 comments:

Siobhan said...

I agree. A pinot Gris from one region can be very different to a pinto gris from another - and reisling - as a friend pointed out to me the other day when we were choosing wine. I opeted not for a reisling because they tend to be too sweet for my liking. She said "oh this one will be fine, it's a Hawkes Bay reisling. Anyway....!

Siobhan said...

oops I spelt Riesling wrong! I thought as much when I was typing. I hate that.

Jayson Bryant said...

I agree Siobahn, there is too much confusion. It is hard for the consumer to know and so they don't buy.